Structural Insulated Panels Design Considerations
Designing a high-performance structure can be challenging. Important considerations must be made during the design phase of a structural insulated panel (SIP) structure. We have years of experience which can help reduce the learning curve and leverage SIPs’ exceptional qualities to achieve high-performance results.
High-performance Building Envelope
SIPs yield high-performance building envelopes with energy performance well beyond conventional framing.
- No additional continuous insulation on the building exterior
- Eliminates poor quality insulation installation
- Larger panels have few gaps
- Reduced thermal bridging from fewer lumber connections
- Airtight envelope improving indoor air quality
- Reduces HVAC sizing and dramatically improves
HVAC Systems and Sizing
The energy efficiency and airtightness of SIPs positively affect the HVAC(Heating Venting and Air Conditioning) design resulting in smaller unit requirements.
- Proper HVAC sizing reduces costs
- Enhances comfort and performance
- Specifying a Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV) or Similar
- Better cycling for better dehumidifying and reduced mold
- SIP typically achieves less than 2 ACH@50pa
SIPs have the structural strength to work well in virtually any design. In addition, SIPs structural capacities comply with most, if not all, building codes.
- More significant strength over conventional framing
- Greater design flexibility.
- Reduced intermediate support structures
- Potential elimination of some or all headers
- Easy-to-read load capacities charts
Electrical chases are provided to simplify the electrical rough-in, saving the electrician a great deal of time in the field.
- Built-in vertical and horizontal electrical chases
- Use of surface-mounted LED lighting
- Pre-plan electrical requirements before Sip Manufacturing
- Faster electrical installation
- Marked electrical chases for easy identification
Plumbing should be placed within interior walls to protect the integrity of the high-performance envelope and to avoid freezing the supply lines in cold climates.
- Interior application plumbing control optimizing envelope
- Minimize roof penetrations
- Consolidating all vents
- Easy added plumbing chase way on the exterior
- More manageable sealing for air tightness
Get SIPS is an organization with the goal of educating home and building owners, architects and contractors on the wonderful benefits of Structural Insulated Panels.
- What We Offer
- Advantages of SIPs
- SIPs Design
- SIPs Cost
Get SIPS Get Information
Enter information then hit Next >
Success! Thank you for submission. We will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.
Oops! It looks like something happened and we were unable to process your request. Please try again.
Safe With Us
We do not
Share or Sell